CANADA (CNN/CTV) – A Toronto toddler who died at a sleepover in March reportedly ate poisoned cereal.

Bernice Nantanda Wamala died one week after her third birthday. She was rushed to the hospital by her mother following a sleepover at a friend’s home. According to authorities, Wamala began vomiting and having trouble breathing after eating the breakfast cereal.

"This past weekend Francis Ngugi, 45 years of age of Toronto was arrested with two counts of administering a noxious substance to endanger life, as well as unlawfully cause bodily harm two counts and criminal negligence causing death,” Toronto Police Const. Jenifferjit Sidhu said this week.

Police said both girls who ate the cereal were familiar with the accused. Officials have not said what the connection was or what the substance that’s alleged to have been put in the cereal was.

"The man obtained the controlled substance from his place of employment and that was part of the investigation where they later determined that same controlled substance was found in the cereal that the two children consumed,” said Const. Sidhu.

Copyright 2021 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Locations

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.