Monsoon storm keeps Las Vegas fire officials busy

A monsoon storm on Aug. 11, 2018 left several thousand people without power. (Photo: Julieanna Villarino/Facebook)

Saturday night's monsoon storm kept members of Las Vegas Fire and Rescue busy after several calls were sent in, according to fire officials.

No injuries were reported and things returned to normal for firefighters by midnight, save for a massive power outage that left thousands of NV Energy customers in the valley without power, according to fire officials.

[RELATED: Storm causes mass outage, damage, diverted flights in Southern Nevada]

Firefighters said the first calls came in at around 8:15 p.m. when wind speeds ranged from 40 to 60 miles per hour. A majority of the calls related to downed wires and power poles that were blown away or damaged by the winds. According to fire officials, wind speeds at Nellis Air Force Base clocked at 70 miles per hour as the storm began to enter the valley.

Many of the downed power lines and poles were east of Rainbow Boulevard, firefighters said. Some of the downed wires or transformers started outside fires, but firefighters were able to extinguish them before the flames could spread.

By 9:16 p.m. at 1912 South Maryland Parkway, a roof on a local business had caught on fire, according to fire officials. When firefighters arrived on scene, they noticed smoke and flames but were able to get the fire under control quickly. Damage estimate costs were $50,000. Fire investigators believe the roof was struck by lightning and that was the cause of the fire.

Winds started to calm down at around 9:30 p.m. and calls sent in to the Combined Communications Center also started to slow down, fire officials said.

According to Fire and Rescue, no one was injured or displaced by the storm. As of 8 a.m. Sunday morning, NV Energy reported more than 24,000 customers in the Las Vegas area were without power after the storm.

Copyright 2018 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Recommended for you