LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Thirty-nine years ago Thursday, on Nov. 21, 1980, 87 people were killed and more than 700 were injured as a result of a fire at the MGM Grand Hotel — now Ballys — on the Las Vegas Strip, according to Clark County.
The electrical fire started in a deli on the casino level. The fire and smoke spread upward through the hotel's ventilation system. As a result, many people were killed by smoke or carbon monoxide, the county said.
The MGM Grand fire and the Las Vegas Hilton fire three months later led to a series of stricter fire regulations in Clark County.
According to Clark County, properties on the Strip now must meet some of the most extensive fire regulations in the world.