lvfr badge generic

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- A homeless man sustained severe burns after his mattress caught fire while he was sleeping Thursday night, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue said.

LVFR responded to a home on F Street near Washington Avenue around 10:45 p.m. Oct. 31 to a report of a person suffering from burns. Fire officials found the man on the sidewalk, unable to walk due to severe burns to his legs.

The man had burns to his legs and hands, LVFR said. He was treated on scene then taken to University Medical Center.

Investigators believe the man was asleep with a few other homeless people in a vacant lot at E Street and Morgan Avenue. LVFR said the people had a small warming fire near the mattresses, which caused it to catch fire. LVFR said the man left the lot and was later found at F Street.

The cause appears to be accidental, LVFR said.

Copyright 2019 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Locations

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.