LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- The Nevada Department of Transportation said to expect heavy traffic through Monday, Feb. 23 due to NASCAR weekend.
Two additional traffic restrictions were announced for later this week. In addition to NDOT's announcements, roads may also be restricted from a visit from President Donald Trump this week.
The president landed at McCarran International Airport on Tuesday night and will leave the West after a rally in Las Vegas on Friday. President Trump is also set to attend a Hope for Prisoners graduation ceremony Thursday at the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police headquarters.
According to police, his visit to Metro will not be open to the public. Several closures will take place within Metro:
- The LVMPD Records and Fingerprint Bureau in Building C and the lobby in Building B will be closed during the morning of Feb. 20 and will reopen at 1 p.m. or until the President departs.
- Citizens should visit their nearby area commands for services during this time.
- The Headquarters parking lot (Martin Luther King Boulevard and Alta Drive) will be blocked off and secured in preparation for the event.
- The parking lot will remain secured until approximately 1 p.m. or until President Trump departs.
- Attendees of the Hope for Prisoners graduation will be parking in the Walker Furniture parking lot across from LVMPD Headquarters.
- Students (non-LVMPD employees) attending classes at Advanced Training in Headquarters Building A will also be able to park at Walker Furniture and enter the property.
Valley drivers should also keep in mind that the Democratic Debate is taking place Wednesday night at Paris Las Vegas ahead of the Democratic caucus on Saturday at several locations around the valley.
DOWNTOWN LAS VEGAS
On Feb. 19, the Casino Center Boulevard on-ramp to northbound U.S. 95 will be closed from 9 p.m. and is scheduled to reopen 5:30 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 20.
The closure is needed for "exploratory geotechnical boring, NDOT said.
On Saturday, NDOT will close two lanes of U.S. 95 northbound between Las Vegas Boulevard and City Parkway from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 23. This closure is for bridge repair, according to a media release.
NDOT advised motorists to take extra caution while driving through construction zones and take alternative routes if possible.
NEAR THE SPEEDWAY
The Penzoil 400 race weekend is set for Feb. 21 through Feb. 23 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. NDOT urged drivers to avoid I-15 northbound at exit 54 through the event.
About 25,000 additional vehicles and 100,000 people are expected for race-related event from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily, NDOT said.
“We expect heavy traffic along northern Interstate 15 during NASCAR race weekend,” said NDOT spokesman Tony Illia. “We advise taking alternate routes, if possible. But, if travel through the area is unavoidable, please plan accordingly and budget additional time to reach your destination.”
For traffic updates through the weekend, NDOT said to listen to KBAD AM-920 or call 5-1-1 for current road conditions.
NDOT said they will close the 215 Beltway in both directions between Oso Blanca Road and Sky Pointe Drive from 8 p.m. on Feb. 24 until 5 a.m. on Feb. 25.
The closure is to place concrete for the top deck of the northwest structure over the 215 Beltway as part of the Centennial Bowl project.