A man killed in an officer-involved shooting Monday, swung a knife at officers, striking one in the hand, Las Vegas Metro police said during a press conference.

The department held a press conference on the third officer-involved shooting in three days Thursday afternoon. Police released body-camera footage and identified the suspect as 62-year-old Spurgeon Daniels.

[RELATED: Suspect killed in 3rd Las Vegas officer-involved shooting in 3 days]

Police said Daniels' criminal history included numerous misdemeanor arrests, possession of a controlled substance, battery, domestic violence, possession of a deadly weapon, burglary, battery by a prisoner, kidnapping, robbery with deadly weapon, auto burglary, battery with a deadly weapon and evading police.

If he survived the incident, Daniels would have faced battery with a deadly weapon on a protected person and assault with a deadly weapon on a protected person, police said.

Police said on Monday security contacted dispatchers at 12:40 p.m. for a welfare check on Daniels at 2200 W. Bonanza Road, near Rancho Drive. Security stated Daniels made vague statements about wanting to harm himself and was running around naked earlier in the day. Security also said his apartment was flooding, the lock to the door was taken off and he may have barricaded himself inside the apartment with furniture. The security also told dispatchers he was afraid something may have happened to Daniels because he did not answer the door.

Citing the department's policy, police said the crisis intervention team was dispatched and officers arrived at 12:47 p.m. They attempted to contact Daniels and heard him inside the apartment but he refused to come to the door, so the officers waited for additional resources to arrive.

At 12:55 p.m., the officers entered Daniels' apartment. His door was not barricaded and they were able to push the door open to enter. The officers said they saw Daniels standing in the kitchen concealing his right hand behind the counter.

"Just relax," one of the officers told Daniels.

"I don't relax!" Daniels responded.

"I just want to talk to you, okay?" the officer said.

"You don't need to talk!" Daniels said.

"Just give me a second to talk, okay?" the officer asked.

"Those that have eyes can see," Daniels said. "Those that have ears can listen."

"Just let him talk," the officer said, speaking to other officers in the room.

Daniels moved toward officers. One of the officers attempted to deploy his Taser, but it malfunctioned.

The sergeant at the scene gave Officer David Stockton his Taser, which fired but did not cause neuromuscular incapacitation.

Officers began to walk out of the unit onto a narrow landing. As the Taser cycle ended, Daniels swung a utility knife at one of the officers, striking him in the hand and cutting him. The officers were on the landing outside of the unit as Daniels stood in the doorway holding the knife. The officers told him to drop the knife, but he refused. One of the officers deployed a Taser and struck Daniels, but again it did not cause neuromuscular incapacitation. Daniels then turned his attention to Officer Stockton and "aggressively" moved toward him holding the knife. Officer Stockton backed away and shot Daniels twice. He was placed in handcuffs, given medical attention and transported to University Medical Center where he died.

The officer that was struck in the hand was treated at University Medical Center and released.

Assistant Sheriff Tim Kelly said he is not sure whether Daniels was mentally ill or under the influence.

"Based on his behavior, it appears that there's an issue," he said.

Kelly said that the department is also trying to figure out what caused the Taser to "malfunction."

"Is it something that we need to send back to the manufacturer to try and figure out?" Kelly said. "We're working through that issue right now."

Retired homicide Lieutenant Dan McGrath said, even though the ending is tragic, he believes the body camera video shows officers did a great job trying to deescalate the situation.

"I mean, they're talking to him. They're trying to calm him down," McGrath said. "They couldn't have done better... I'm sure (the Taser is) going to be looked at. Was it charged? Was it batteries? Sometimes in the heat, if they left it in the car?"

Monday afternoon's shooting was the 13th officer-involved shooting of the year, which is fewer than last year at this time. There have been four officer-involved shootings since Saturday involving Metro officers.

At least five officers are on paid administrative leave in response to those four shootings.

"As you guys know, we've had a rough week," Kelly said. "I can tell you, in my 28+ years here, I don't recall us having this many OISes in such a short period of time."Copyright 2018 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Digital Content Manager


Recommended for you