2/13 strip fire

UPDATE: The Saturday fire on the Cosmopolitan hotel balcony was determined to be accidental caused by candles, according to the Clark County Fire Department. 

The department issued the following statement on Tuesday: 

The fire was ruled to be accidental. There was a candle in the room and the door to the patio was open. The wind blew the curtains for the door into the candle, which ignited the curtain. The fire was quickly extinguished with a dry chemical extinguisher prior to fire sprinkler activation. The occupant immediately notified security after the fire was out. CCFD responded and found the fire to be extinguished and there was no extension to the structure. There was residual smoke in the unit and hallway, which was cleared by the buildings heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system.

Original story continues below. 

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Crews with the Clark County Fire Department extinguished a fire on The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas' 51st floor on Saturday night. 

According to the fire department, smoke was reported about 8 p.m. at the property at 3708 S. Las Vegas Boulevard. CCFD ascended to the floor by using their "high rise response policy" and found smoke in the hallway, then a fire on a balcony. 

The fire was put out quickly and the room was searched to make sure everyone was evacuated. The fire and smoke did not spread to upper or lower floors. 

"Multiple" people were taken to Sunrise Hospital with minor injuries. 

CCFD said they responded with a total of 10 fire engines, four ladder trucks, four rescues, two squads, and four battalion chiefs and a total of 72 personnel.

The cause and origin of the fire is currently under investigation.

Copyright 2021 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved

Recommended for you

(3) comments

NevadaQTruth

Use LED Candles, I almost cannot believe that was the cause of the fire, what did it start on fire, somebody freebasing something ? Nitrous and flame doesn't mix ... More Details Please !

NevadaIsStartingToSuck

Make whoever left this so-called "unattended candle" pay for it. The response teams, the hotel damage, people's time and peace lost. Why does everyone else have to suffer for the part of society that doesn't have any regard for anyone else always? Put a lien on any and all property they have, and pay the city back. What did that cost the tax payers that night? Thirty grand?

NevadaQTruth

It's Crazy, this indicates that the cosmos drapes are not as fire resistant to the level they should be for this kind a property. (Candle - Drapes - Fire) sounds strange to me but hey guess we always have to believe what government tells us.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.