UPDATE (April 2): A spokesperson for Resorts World has confirmed that a third worker at the construction site has tested positive for COVID-19.
Since April 1, Resorts World says it has been notified of two new suspected cases of COVID-19, one that was positive and one that was negative, bringing the total positive cases to three, the company said in a statement to FOX5. The positive case was reported on April 1 and the negative case was reported on April 2.
"Out of an abundance of caution, various sections of the job site, including the area in which the worker was assigned and surrounding areas, as well as manlifts, stairwells, turnstiles and other common areas around the site, will be periodically shut down and routinely sanitized to ensure the entire job site remains safe for workers," Resorts World said in an email.
"The safety of the entire crew remains our top priority, and while we are committed to continuing with construction, we are doing everything we can to ensure prudent preventative policies and procedures are being followed across the job site and that workers are informed of new information and guidelines related to COVID-19 daily."
UPDATE (March 31): A spokesperson for Resorts World confirmed a second worker at the hotel-casino construction site tested positive for COVID-19.
The company said it was notified on March 30. The worker was last on site on March 23, according to Resorts World. The person's eight crew members were directed to stay home and self-isolate for 14 days.
Resorts World scaled down construction by one-third after the first case was confirmed, according to the statement.
... specifically reducing tower construction to assist in social distancing compliance. Further reductions have since been implemented in all areas of remaining tower construction to further limit proximity between workers.
Construction would continue under the CDC guidelines and OSHA safety standards, according to the statement.
ORIGINAL REPORT: LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Resorts World Las Vegas has confirmed that a worker on the project tested positive for coronavirus.
"On March 23, Resorts World Las Vegas was notified that one of its subcontractor's workers tested positive for COVID-19," Resorts World said in a statement provided to FOX5 Tuesday morning.
According to site records, the worker was last on site of the Resorts World project on Tuesday, March 17, the statement said.
Resorts World says that the worker's crew was immediately notified and instructed to stay home and self-isolate for 14 days.
In addition, the area in which the worker had been assigned, along with the surrounding vicinity, has been shut down and is being sanitized, Resorts World added. The respective areas will remain closed until April 1, officials said.
According to the statement, Resorts World Las Vegas and W.A. Richardson Builders have implemented the following preventative policies and procedures to minimize the risk of coronavirus:
- Implementation of social distancing, including in manlifts and elevators, and good hygiene practices as outlined by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Southern Nevada Health District (SNHD);
- Reinforcement of wellness, sanitation and social distancing guides at scaled-down daily toolbox meetings;
- Required daily temperature checks/monitoring for all workers;
- Installation of additional handwashing stations throughout the job site;
- Increased sanitation of portable restrooms;
- Implementation of teleconferencing in lieu of all nonessential meetings;
- Reduction in crew size to assist in social distancing compliance;
- Reinforcement of companies’ policies to encourage any employee who feels sick to stay home.