North Las Vegas girl stuck in Germany after traveling abroad for cancer treatment

12-year-old NLV girl traveled abroad for cancer treatment, stuck in Germany
12-year-old NLV girl traveled abroad for cancer treatment, stuck in Germany(Yarelli Acosta)
Published: Jul. 10, 2022 at 10:40 PM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - Time is running out for a North Las Vegas girl battling an aggressive form of bone cancer, she traveled to abroad for treatment but due to unforeseen circumstances she’s now stuck in Germany struggling to find a way home.

12-year-old Viktoria Salazar has been a competitive cheerleader since she was 4. The most recent team was Las Vegas Empire.

On May 10th, 2021, she was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. Doctors found cancer in her right leg, it eventually spread to her lungs.

After nine months of chemotherapy and two lung surgeries, one in March and one in February of this year her mother, Yarelli Acosta, said she was supposed to be on maintenance chemotherapy. But that day never came.

Viktoria’s leg started to hurt again. Her oncologist at UCLA said the cancer was back in her fibula and her lungs.

Since chemotherapy would only buy Viktoria time, Acosta found a doctor in Germany who performs the specialized treatment. It’s called infused regional chemotherapy.

“That means it just targets where the tumors are and they use these catheters to induce the chemo to the tumors and then they extract the chemo so they don’t let the chemo wonder on the body,” Acosta said.

Viktoria had a body scan done before heading to Germany- Acosta wanted to make sure she was clear to make the travel.

“I sent the information to this doctor he said get her here. Like I can do this- she will be fine she’ll be in remission. Those were his words she’ll be in remission,” Acosta said.

Viktoria and Acosta arrived in Berghausen, Germany. They waited two weeks to see the doctor.

“They were trying to get things ordered, like get the hospital, get the OR and everything was taking so much time. One of the pediatrician’s surgeons got COVID and you know that was another setback and so we had two appointments that were canceled,” Acosta said.

A day before she was admitted Viktoria had a seizure. She was intubated and flown to Munich. Doctors found a brain tumor.

Since Viktoria was in Munich at a different hospital, the doctor they flew there for couldn’t perform his treatment outside of his hospital in Giessen.

“When they tell this news to the other hospital, that they were going to transfer her, for her to get the treatment they were like, I think it’s just too much of a risk we can’t take her. So now the doctor- the one that got us here is like well, I can’t do anything,” Acosta said.

She said she would’ve never flown Viktoria had they known. Looking back UCLA just did a body scan, not a head scan before they left.

“I was angry, I was sad, disappointed, disappointed at myself too because we were so far,” Acosta said.

Viktoria has to travel back to the states with an oxygen tank. But due to her state, airlines are asking a physician to fly with her.

“If something happens in the plane and they want a letter of no resuscitation if something happens and what would happen to them. So they said that if they didn’t have a license in the U.S. or were not like insured internationally then if something happens when she gets there they would have problems,” Acosta said.

Another option is a medical flight.

“So it’s like we’re trying but there’s nobody that we know that has a international insurance for this kind of situation. The only way is a medical flight and a medical flight is 250,000 euros. And I was like – where am I going to get that money? You know it’s like this is going to be impossible right?”

Acosta is pleading for a physician who is internationally insured to accompany them back to the states, or someone willing to lend a private plane.

“At the end if we stay here is just wait for her to not be here anymore because she’s not receiving any treatment, what happens happens but at least she’s home,” Acosta said.

You can contact her at here.

The family has also created a GoFundMe HERE.