Advertisement

Veteran loses everything in house fire in Northeast Las Vegas

Las Vegas veteran loses home following 2-alarm fire.
Published: May. 11, 2022 at 2:51 PM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - High winds prompted a multi-agency response to a structure fire in the northeast Las Vegas Valley Wednesday afternoon.

Clark County Fire Department said the fire started around 12:13 p.m. May 11 in the 2600 block of N. Gateway Road. A second-alarm was dispatched to the area due to high winds.

Arriving firefighters found a single-story home with heavy smoke and flames. Crews had to attack the fire from the exterior before starting an interior response when the fire entered the attic and spread laterally.

Peter Hebberd, the homeowner, says he was at the VA hospital when the fire happened.

“I was at the VA hospital trying to get an echocardiogram, I don’t have a good heart, " he said.

He said the house is a total loss.

“I’m 70 years old and all I had was in that house, collection of 70 years worth of collecting whatever I had, quite a bit of stuff, most of it is gone now,” he added.

Crews knocked down the fire about 32 minutes after they arrived. No injuries were reported. A damage estimate was not immediately available.

North Las Vegas Fire Department also assisted in the response.