Police: ‘No foul play’ after Indiana couple goes missing in Nevada, husband found dead

The woman who went missing with her husband from Indiana describes surviving in the Nevada desert.
Published: Apr. 6, 2022 at 12:18 PM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - The Esmeralda Sheriff’s Office said there was no foul play in the disappearance of an Indiana couple visiting Nevada after the husband was found dead and the woman was taken to the hospital.

Esmeralda officials along with police from Nye County and Mineral County assisted on the search for Ronnie, 72, and Beverly Barker, 69. The pair took off on a west coast road trip in late March and family had not heard from them since March 27.

On April 5, authorities located the Barker’s motorhome in a remote mountain area near Silver Peak, Nevada shortly after 11:30 a.m. Authorities said it took several hours to reach the motorhome due to its location.

Once they reached the motorhome, the Kia SUV that the couple also traveled with was not there, and authorities said the motorhome appeared to be stuck. Police said after a search of the motorhome, they determined foul play was not involved.

Beverly is now out of the hospital, according to the family. She was well enough to recount what had happened to her family. She gave her nephew, Travis Peters, the blessing to share the story on Facebook.

Beverly said their GPS navigator took them in the wrong direction and towards Red Mountain. It’s not far from Silver Peak, which is about three and a half hours from Las Vegas. After their motorhome got stuck in the mud they decided to take their KIA SUV to seek help, but got lost again.

The couple spent over a week in the cold. Beverly said dehydration was their number one challenge. Beverly, who uses a walker, managed the strength to collect snow so they could drink. According to their nephew’s Facebook post, Ronnie passed away on Monday, April 4, likely from dehydration.

Police followed tire tracks and located the Kia approximately two miles away about 21 hours after Ronnie had died. Authorities said Beverly was alive “and in good spirits considering what took place.” Beverly was taken via aircraft to Renown Medical Center in Reno for treatment.

“Everyone involved would like to give condolences to the family of Ronnie and Beverly Barker,” a release from police said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the family during these trying times.”

“A miracle took place on Red Mountain. There’s no physical way that Bev would have been able to make it to get snow time after time without the Lord carrying her up to that ridge,” Peters wrote.