911 CALLS: Las Vegas woman, boyfriend detail the disappearance of Amari Nicholson

The mother of 2-year-old Amari Nicholson told a 911 operator she tried to report an Amber Alert early in the morning of her son's disappearance, but was told by
Updated: May. 19, 2021 at 9:00 PM PDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - The mother of 2-year-old Amari Nicholson told a 911 operator she tried to report an Amber Alert early in the morning of her son’s disappearance, but was told by Las Vegas police to handle the “civil” matter in court.

Hours earlier, her initial call detailed an alleged kidnapping by Amari’s aunt. That account was false. Days later, the investigation turned into a murder case.

On May 5 at about 7 a.m., Las Vegas woman Tayler Nicholson told police dispatch that she was out of town, but wanted to report a kidnapping. She was in Colorado taking care of her mother when a “strange” woman, described as Amari’s paternal aunt, showed up at her house and took the toddler from Terrell Rhodes’ custody, Nicholson’s boyfriend.


During the call, Nicholson described her relationship with the boy’s biological father as abusive and that he had zero custodial rights. She said the prime suspects in the kidnapping were the father’s sisters.

“A lady knocked on the door and came and took him,” Nicholson said in the call.

In an interview with Rhodes following Nicholson’s call, he said a woman in a gray tracksuit appeared at their Emerald Suites home, gathered clothes for the boy and left with him in a car. She claimed to be the sister of Amari’s biological father, Rhodes said.

“I had no idea she was even coming over here,” Rhodes told 911.

Later that afternoon, Tayler called police again, stating that hours before, her attempted Amber Alert was not issued, and that police needed additional details.

“I was out of town. My son has been gone for half the day. Police are not looking at it. They said it’s a civil matter until they can talk to me in person ... is there a way dispatch can come back?” Nicholson asked the call taker.

Nicholson also told police that Rhodes was given permission “with a piece of paper” that he was responsible for Amari’s care at the time alleged abduction. When police called Rhodes to confirm Nicholson’s story, he said it had been about 50 minutes since the kidnapping and the time of the call.

The dispatcher told the couple police would come to residence to investigate.

On May 11, Rhodes confessed to killing the boy after he wet his clothes, proving the kidnapping story false. He is facing multiple charges.