12-year-old girl dies from infection after flu misdiagnosis, fam - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

12-year-old girl dies from infection after flu misdiagnosis, family says

Posted: Updated:
(Credit: Keila Lino) (Credit: Keila Lino)

(Meredith) – A 12-year-old California girl died several days after being misdiagnosed with the flu, according to her family.

When Alyssa Alcaraz fell ill last month, her family thought she had food poisoning. Doctors later diagnosed her with the flu, KFSN in Fresno reports.

The preteen stayed home from school as her condition worsened. On Dec. 17, her mother again took her to urgent care, where a physician realized her oxygen levels were low.

Within hours the 12-year-old reportedly went into cardiac arrest, which was brought on by septic shock from a strep infection in her blood.

The family said they never knew she had a bacterial infection before she passed away.

Her father, Jeremy Alcaraz, mourned his daughter’s sudden and unexpected death in a heartbreaking Facebook post.

“I'm so torn right now, it's killing me,” he wrote. “I can't even explain my pain to you guys. I miss my baby so so much.”

Friends and family also created a GoFundMe page to cover Alcaraz's funeral expenses.

“She was so friendly and outgoing, and just a beautiful soul that was taken far too soon,” a post on the GoFundMe page read. “This has been a complete heart-wrenching shock for everyone to grasp.”

Her mother, Keila Lino, posted videos on Sunday showing young relatives releasing balloons in her honor. "For ALYSSA...missing you every day," she wrote.

-- 

Information from: KFSN, http://abc30.com/

Copyright 2017 Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.