Man dies after EDC ends at Las Vegas Motor Speedway - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Man dies after EDC ends at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Posted: Updated:
Michael Morse died after the Electronic Daisy Carnival on June 17, 2017. (The Morse Family) Michael Morse died after the Electronic Daisy Carnival on June 17, 2017. (The Morse Family)

A man died after the Electric Daisy Carnival concluded Saturday at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, according to authorities. 

According to the Clark County Coroner's Office, Michael Adam Morse, 34, died at 7:41 a.m. at the speedway on Saturday. Morse's cause and manner of death were pending further testing. 

Morse died inside the festival hours after the first day ended. 

On Monday, Ian McCasky said he was still trying to cope with the reality that his friend of 16 years died right in front of him, when they should've been having fun.

"Mike lived for these events," McCasky said. "(He loved) going out partying and having friends, and it's too bad that they failed him."

The pair from California came to the Valley for EDC, but around 5:00 a.m. Saturday, when they tried to leave, something happened. 

"He started to shake a bit," McCasky said. "That's when I knew something was wrong."

McCasky said he ran through the crowd to get help, but that the staffer he found acted too slowly.

"The lady who came over, instead of slapping him left and right for two minutes trying to get him to make a response when he clearly wasn't going to respond, could've called for emergency faster."

The Clark County Coroner confirmed that Michael Morse died at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. His family said he has a body temperature of 109 degrees.

Morse's brother Ryan Morse said none of this was supposed to happen. 

"He was going to sell the tickets, and not go," Ryan said.

He said his brother's death isn't the first at EDC and that his family doesn't understand why it keeps happening.

"People make their decisions," Ryan said. "I still feel like the event has some responsibility for this kind of stuff and just here we go more year after year they keep doing this and it is just a tragedy."

The festival ran from 7:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Las Vegas Metro police said the death did not occur during the operating hours of the festival, so the department did not count it as a fatality at the festival. 

[RELATED: Medical calls top 1,000 at Electric Daisy Carnival in Vegas]

Police said the death is not being investigated as a crime. 

Insomniac, the group that produces the festival, said in a statement, "The unexpected passing of a loved one is tragic, and while the exact cause of this tragedy is still unknown, we do know that family and friends are grieving. It is with great sadness that we send our thoughts and condolences to the loved ones of the man who passed away after the festival had ended."

Insomniac added, their health and safety plan is created with local agencies over several months. The company said their medical professionals are available 24-hours a day at the festival. Plus, a full staff of security and police are available to attendees. 

Stay with FOX5 and for developments. 

Copyright 2017 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.