Adelson says he could 'live without deal' to bring Raiders to La - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Adelson says he could 'live without deal' to bring Raiders to Las Vegas

Posted: Updated:
Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson testifies in court Monday, May 4, 2015, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher) Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson testifies in court Monday, May 4, 2015, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
Renderings were presented of a stadium built for the NFL's Raiders on August 25, 2016. (Source: SNTIC.org) Renderings were presented of a stadium built for the NFL's Raiders on August 25, 2016. (Source: SNTIC.org)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Weeks after Nevada lawmakers approved funding for a $1.9 billion NFL stadium that would use private and public money, casino mogul Sheldon Adelson reportedly told conference-goers in Israel he was willing to walk away from negotiations with the Oakland Raiders. 

In that plan, Adelson would contribute $650 million for the NFL stadium, adding to the $750 million of public money approved by state lawmakers during a special session of the Nevada Legislature in Carson City. The Raiders would pay $500 million.

But, according to a report by Reuters, Adelson said he was willing to walk away from the deal to bring the Raiders to Las Vegas. 

"They want so much, so I told my people, 'Tell them I could live with the deal, I could live without the deal. Here's the way it's gonna go down. If they don't want it, bye-bye.'"

The comments, first reported by Reuters, came at a conference in Tel Aviv, Israel. 

"It's a non-story; there's no real context to it," Sands Senior VP Andy Abboud told FOX5 Thursday. "He was basically talking about his negotiation style and about the stadium in general. There's no problems in negotiations, there's no real issues. We met with them all day yesterday. [It's] kind of a non-story."

Abboud said he is not involved in negotiations between Sands Corp. and the Raiders, but those talks most likely center around "operating and financial situations that are a part of any negotiations."

Earlier this week, a report showed plans to build a new football stadium in Oakland were submitted to the city by a group led by Hall of Fame player and former Raider Ronnie Lott. 

"It's not just one person, it's a number of people who have said they want to contribute not just who they are, but dollars and cents to this effort," Lott said. 

But it's an effort that Abboud said Sands isn't concerned about, because Oakland hasn't been able to get the money needed to build a new stadium for the team in the past. 

"We look at all that. We've been assured by everyone that that will be very difficult to accomplish. Nothing has changed in Oakland that will allow them to finance a stadium," Abboud said. 

Copyright 2016 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:35 PM EDT2017-05-24 23:35:11 GMT
    Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >
  • Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 10:20 AM EDT2017-05-24 14:20:22 GMT
    Source: FacebookSource: Facebook

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >
  • Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:48 AM EDT2017-05-24 12:48:04 GMT
    Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.