2nd case of St. Louis encephalitis confirmed in S. Nevada - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

2nd case of St. Louis encephalitis confirmed in S. Nevada

Posted: Updated:
(AP FILE) (AP FILE)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5/AP) -

A week after health officials confirmed the first case of St. Louis encephalitis in Southern Nevada in nine years, another human case was confirmed Friday.

According to Southern Nevada Health District, a man who is 50 years of age or older contracted the illness but was not diagnosed with the more serious, neuroinvasive form of the disease. SNHD did not disclose the man's condition or whether he was hospitalized.

On August 26, SNHD similarly described the first human case of St. Louis encephalitis this year as a man who is 50 years of age or older. He was infected by the more serious, neuroinvasive form of the virus. However, the person was released from the hospital after treatment.

Earlier this year, the health district cautioned the public of a potential spoke in the number of mosquitoes infected with St. Louis encephalitis.

Most people infected by this strain of encephalitis either never get sick or have mild illness with fever and headache.

Copyright 2016 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Las Vegas man shot and killed after jumping off balcony

    Las Vegas man shot and killed after jumping off balcony

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 7:48 PM EST2017-12-13 00:48:21 GMT
    LVMPD officers investigate the scene of a deadly shooting Dec. 11, 2017 (FOX5).LVMPD officers investigate the scene of a deadly shooting Dec. 11, 2017 (FOX5).

    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said one person is dead after a shooting near Vegas Valley Drive and Nellis Boulevard Monday evening.  

    More >

    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said one person is dead after a shooting near Vegas Valley Drive and Nellis Boulevard Monday evening.  

    More >
  • Death of 2-hour-old baby ruled murder, no charges filed

    Death of 2-hour-old baby ruled murder, no charges filed

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 2:56 AM EST2017-12-12 07:56:32 GMT
    This generic image shows the silhouette of a pregnant woman. (Meredith Image)This generic image shows the silhouette of a pregnant woman. (Meredith Image)

    The death of a baby boy earlier this year who lived for less than two hours has been classified as a murder, according to Metro Police.

    More >

    The death of a baby boy earlier this year who lived for less than two hours has been classified as a murder, according to Metro Police.

    More >
  • Our Apologies

    The page you requested is currently unavailable. Pages on this site are constantly being revised, updated, and occasionally removed. You may have followed an outdated link or have outdated pages in your

    You have reached a page which is currently unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please use your browser's BACK button to return to the previous page

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.