Exploding cellphone terrifies Las Vegas woman - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Exploding cellphone terrifies Las Vegas woman

Posted: Updated:
Alicia Edwards said her Galaxy Note 7 exploded as it was being charged. (Source: FOX5) Alicia Edwards said her Galaxy Note 7 exploded as it was being charged. (Source: FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

A Las Vegas woman is safe after a scary situation involving her phone.

It’s something that's causing problems for people across the world.

The woman was lying in bed with her brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 charging beside her when it burst into flames.

Alicia Edwards was so excited to get the brand new Galaxy Note 7 on the first day it came out.

"It was good! I enjoyed it," Edwards said.

But, she only enjoyed it for a short time. Just a week later, Edwards laid in bed while her phone charged on a charging pad beside her.

"It made a loud pop, and there was a high pitched squeal and just firework flames like shooting out of the side of the phone," Edwards said. “My first reaction was to grab it and run it to water, so I don't really know if I was thinking at that moment, but after I was just completely shaken up, shaking. It was very scary.”

Edwards has burns on her fingers and holes in the shirt she was wearing, proof that this wasn't just a little overheating.

“To me this is a big issue. It could have burned my house down and I could have lost everything, including my animals,” she said.

She's not the only one. All around the world people are reporting this exploding phone, prompting a shutdown of shipments from South Korea.

As for Edwards, she put in a claim and was sent a new phone, but it was the exact same model.

“So now I'm terrified it's going to happen again. I'm charging, trying to charge my phone during the day so it's not charging at night, so I don't lose any more sleep, because I'm terrified this one's going to explode as well,” Edwards said.

However, as horrible as this situation has been, Edwards feels relief.

“I'm just glad it wasn't more damage. There wasn't damage to my home, animals. My skin will heal,” Edwards said.

Samsung responded with this statement:

“We regret the experience Mrs. Edwards has had with Samsung. We have reached out to apologize and have provided her with a new device. We will be following up with Mrs. Edwards to see if there is anything else we can do to help. In response to this case and recent questions on the Galaxy Note7, Samsung is conducting a thorough inspection and will share updates as soon as possible. Samsung is fully committed to providing the highest quality products and services to our consumers.”

Copyright 2016 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.