Nevada orders Title Max to stop, refund loan extensions - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Nevada orders Title Max to stop, refund loan extensions

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (AP) -

Nevada has ordered auto title lender Title Max to stop issuing a loan extension option that the state says is illegal.

The state Department of Business and Industry announced Monday that the Nevada Financial Institutions Division had on Aug. 12 issued a cease and desist order against the nationwide company.

Title Max is also being fined $307,000 and must refund customers who had a Grace Period Payments Deferment Agreement title loan in effect after Dec. 18, 2014.

An administrative hearing found the program to be unlawful because its loan periods can run longer than what's allowed by state law.

The state said the repayment process would ultimately force customers to pay more money in interest than on their principal loan amount.

Company representatives couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Las Vegas man shot and killed after jumping off balcony

    Las Vegas man shot and killed after jumping off balcony

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 7:48 PM EST2017-12-13 00:48:21 GMT
    LVMPD officers investigate the scene of a deadly shooting Dec. 11, 2017 (FOX5).LVMPD officers investigate the scene of a deadly shooting Dec. 11, 2017 (FOX5).

    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said one person is dead after a shooting near Vegas Valley Drive and Nellis Boulevard Monday evening.  

    More >

    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said one person is dead after a shooting near Vegas Valley Drive and Nellis Boulevard Monday evening.  

    More >
  • Death of 2-hour-old baby ruled murder, no charges filed

    Death of 2-hour-old baby ruled murder, no charges filed

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 2:56 AM EST2017-12-12 07:56:32 GMT
    This generic image shows the silhouette of a pregnant woman. (Meredith Image)This generic image shows the silhouette of a pregnant woman. (Meredith Image)

    The death of a baby boy earlier this year who lived for less than two hours has been classified as a murder, according to Metro Police.

    More >

    The death of a baby boy earlier this year who lived for less than two hours has been classified as a murder, according to Metro Police.

    More >
  • Our Apologies

    The page you requested is currently unavailable. Pages on this site are constantly being revised, updated, and occasionally removed. You may have followed an outdated link or have outdated pages in your

    You have reached a page which is currently unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please use your browser's BACK button to return to the previous page

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.