Clark County population hits record as water concerns persist - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Clark County population hits record as water concerns persist

Posted: Updated:
This graph in the annual Las Vegas Perspective report shows the 2014 population levels in Clark County. (Aaron Barker/FOX5) This graph in the annual Las Vegas Perspective report shows the 2014 population levels in Clark County. (Aaron Barker/FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

The population in Clark County hit the record-high 2 million mark last year, according to an annual report released Tuesday about the region's economy.

During the 35th annual Las Vegas Perspective, professionals from construction, finance and tourism gathered at the Four Seasons to hear the good news and the bad news about Sin City's economy.

According to the report, the population of Clark County grew to 2.1 million people in 2014 - up 2 percent from the previous year.

The boom in growth comes with its own challenges, said Jeremy Aguero, a principal analyst at Applied Analysis, which assembles the report.

"I think some of our weaknesses have got to be the fact that our education system is underperforming, which is making us less competitive in technology," Aguero said.

Aguero said there are also concerns about the water resources in the region.

"Lake Mead dropped to the 1,080 [feet] level - the lowest level it's been since 1937, when the lake was first created," Aguero said. "Those water resources are critically important to our vitality as a community."

In fact, federal water managers issued projections Tuesday that forecast Lake Mead dropping to levels in January 2017 that would require water supply cuts to Arizona and Nevada.

"At elevation 1,075, Southern Nevada will have to reduce the amount of water that it takes from Lake Mead from 300,000 acre-feet to 287,000 acre-feet," said Bronson Mack with the Southern Nevada Water Authority.

Mack said Southern Nevada is only currently using 225,000 acre-feet and that while the report is troubling, people shouldn't panic.

"We are about to complete the third intake out at Lake Mead, which will allow us to water from a much deeper part of the lake," Mack said. "In addition to that, we are preparing to build a low lake level pumping station that will allow us to continue accessing that water even if Lake Mead drops to what's called dead pool, and that's the point when no water can pass through Hoover Dam for downstream users."

Mack urged Southern Nevadans to continue water conservation efforts. Among his suggestions were switching from grass lawns to desert landscaping.

Copyright 2015 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:35 PM EDT2017-05-24 23:35:11 GMT
    Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >
  • Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 10:20 AM EDT2017-05-24 14:20:22 GMT
    Source: FacebookSource: Facebook

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >
  • Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:48 AM EDT2017-05-24 12:48:04 GMT
    Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.