The Las Vegas City Council approved a ban on alcohol consumption from glass and metal containers on Fremont Street Experience in June 2014. (FOX5 FILE)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
The Las Vegas City Council voted Wednesday on further restrictions when it comes to alcohol at the Fremont Street Experience.
The city council approved an ordinance that requires all alcohol bought at the tourist hotspot to be kept in a separate bag with a receipt. Under the ordinance, if the bag is open, the alcohol in it is subject to confiscation.
Violations of the ordinance, though, will not result in criminal punishment, the city said.
The vote came several weeks removed from an approved ban on carrying alcohol in glass and metal containers underneath the Fremont Street canopy. Since the ordinance passed, visitors there have had to consume alcohol from plastic cups.
In addition, businesses on Fremont Street must have signs that informs customers that it is illegal to consume alcohol as well as open bags containing the beverage. The new ordinance would include packaged liquor.
In June, Councilman Bob Beers said members feared the area's reputation as out of control, saying people should go elsewhere if they intend to drink as much as possible.
When asked about the ordinance last month, several Fremont Street visitors welcomed the idea based on safety. Others, though, believe there could be a negative effect from the ban.
"If you try to put a limit on what somebody can do with their alcohol or beverage or what they can purchase, you might lose a little clientele," a tourist said.
The city said the council will review the liquor policy in six months.
Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, July 25 2014 11:13 AM EDT2014-07-25 15:13:25 GMT
Police planned Friday to present their case to prosecutors on whether charges should be filed against an 80-year-old man who fatally shot of one of two burglars who attacked him when he found them ransacking his home.More >
Police planned Friday to give prosecutors the results of their investigation into an 80-year-old man's fatal shooting of one of two burglars who attacked him when he found them ransacking his home.More >