Dog hailed as hero in Glendale formal shop fire - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

UPDATE

Dog hailed as hero in Glendale formal shop fire

Posted: Updated:
Fire damaged Abra II, a residential formal wear business in Glendale, early Tuesday morning. (Source: CBS 5 News) Fire damaged Abra II, a residential formal wear business in Glendale, early Tuesday morning. (Source: CBS 5 News)
GLENDALE, AZ (CBS5) -

A Glendale business owner's dog was being called a hero Friday after acting as a smoke alarm early Tuesday morning.

A Glendale Fire Department spokesman said the dog frantically nudged Karen Mariluch awake about 1:30 a.m. after an unattended burning candle started a fire in the middle of Abra II Formal Wear store at 7157 N. 59th Ave.

As soon as she was awake, Mariluch said the smoke had filled up the majority of the business, which doubles as her residence, in a historic district of Glendale.

Gilbert Mancilla of the Glendale Fire Department said firefighters contained the fire to the center bedroom and an adjacent room that was slightly damaged.

Mariluch, her husband and the family dog were able to escape with no injuries, Mancilla said.

A sign in front of the house in a Glendale historic area said it rents formal wear, such as tuxedos and dresses for weddings and proms.

Mariluch said the business is still open by appointment and is receiving new items from a sister store in Grand Junction, CO. Customers can make appointments until the store can be reopened.

Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..