Police released this photo as one of three persons of interest sought in a March 1, 2014 shooting. Documents identified the person as Alan Sosa, the suspect in the shooting. (Source: LVMPD)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
A teen being held at Clark County Detention Center was identified as the suspect in a March 1 shooting that left a 27-year-old man dead.
According to documents released Tuesday, Alan Sosa, 18, was identified as the person seen on a store's security camera in the moments before the shooting that took place on 21st Street and Elm Avenue.
Police said the shooting that happened just after 7 p.m. on March 1 resulted in the death of Juan Edward Cervantes.
In documents, Cervantes' wife, who accompanied her husband that night at the Stewart Market just south of the shooting, told detectives he encountered a group of people outside the business.
According to the wife, Cervantes' wife went ahead into the store but was met quickly by her husband who told her one of the people in the group pulled a gun on him. He then told her they had to leave, documents said.
The couple drove northbound on 21st Street where they found the group walking north of the market. Documents said the woman got out of their car to confront the group with her husband following.
After some shoving, documents showed one of the people in the group, who Cervantes' wife identified as a man in a black hoodie and a black baseball cap, pulled out a handgun and fired a shot at her. The shot missed the woman.
Documents said two more shots were then fired resulting in Cervantes being struck. The group, which included two other males and a female, fled on foot. Cervantes was rushed to University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
In the days following the shooting, police released images of three persons of interest tied to the shooting. A person responding to police said the man in black hoodie and black cap was Sosa, who, according to documents, had a criminal history including burglary and robbery arrests.
Documents showed Sosa had already been booked by March 5 for a separate robbery case.
Sosa was rebooked on counts with murder with a deadly weapon, attempted murder with a deadly weapon and carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.
Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Monday, July 28 2014 1:54 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:54:28 GMT
Authorities now say 14 people - including a 15-year-old - have been struck by lightning during rare summer thunderstorms that have swept through Southern California, injuring two critically.More >
A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck or rattled 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.More >