Firefighter suffers electric shock battling blaze - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Firefighter suffers electric shock battling blaze

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Timothy Szymanski with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue reported a firefighter received an electric shock while battling a fire at a home in northwest Las Vegas on Monday afternoon.

The firefighter was taken to a hospital to be checked out, but is expected to be OK.

Crews were called to the home, located on Tenille Drive, near U.S. 95 and Decatur Boulevard, just before 3 p.m. They arrived to find smoke billowing out of the house along the roofline. The fire was confined to the attic, and firefighters put it out in a few minutes.

The injured firefighter was shocked while checking for fire spread in the attic when he touched a metal gas pipe.

Investigators determined an electrical short outside and underground was leaking a small amount of electricity near where the gas line feeds the house. It's believed the fire was electrical in nature.

Damage is estimated at $75,000. No other injuries were reported.

Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..