Smoke emanates from the roof of a Gilbert house after a bathroom fan caught fire Thursday morning. (Source: CBS 5 News)
GILBERT, AZ (CBS5) -
Gilbert firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to pinpoint the source of an attic fire Thursday morning.
The residents of a home near Higley and Elliot roads reported the fire just before 6 a.m. and firefighters found that a bathroom fan caught fire and the flames had extended into the attic, said Brian Ruffentine of the Gilbert Fire Department.
They used the camera to pinpoint the exact location of the fire and pulled down the ceiling to fight it, minimizing the damage to the home's interior, Ruffentine said.
The family evacuated while firefighters extinguished the fire.
There was no damage estimate available.
Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Monday, July 28 2014 1:54 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:54:28 GMT
Authorities now say 14 people - including a 15-year-old - have been struck by lightning during rare summer thunderstorms that have swept through Southern California, injuring two critically.More >
A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck or rattled 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.More >