Painter burned in gas fireplace-ignited blaze - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Painter burned in gas fireplace-ignited blaze

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue said a Las Vegas painter is recovering from first- and second-degree burns to the arms and hands following a job-related fire Wednesday.

The fire occurred at the Queensbridge Homeowners Association clubhouse, located on Palace Court near Charleston Boulevard and Hualapai Way, just before 10:30 a.m.

Investigators said workers were painting inside the clubhouse with a commercial paint sprayer. To prevent overspray, they had a thin plastic sheet draped around the work area. Nearby was a natural gas fireplace.

It's believed the pilot light ignited fumes from the spray paint, producing a flash fire.

The fire was doused by an automatic sprinkler system.

Fortunately, the burned painter was wearing a respirator to prevent the inhalation of fumes. That kept him from inhaling superheated air. The worker's injuries are not life-threatening.

Damage is estimated at $5,000.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..