A teen took the stand Monday afternoon, testifying against the Saudi air force sergeant accused of raping him.
The incident took place last year on New Year's Eve at the Circus Circus hotel-casino.
The teen, 14, who was 13 at the time of the alleged assault, told the courtroom he was embarrassed and ashamed about what happened, leading him to lie about certain aspects of the incident to police.
The teen said he met 24-year-old Mazen Alotaibi, a member of the Saudi air force who was in the country for training, near the elevators of the sixth floor of the hotel.
The teen said that while waiting for a friend to arrive, he asked Alotaibi for marijuana and was told to follow him to his room.
"As he left, I followed him and then I asked him if he had marijuana ... because when he passed by I saw he had pink eyes and he smelled like it," the teen testified in court today.
The teen claimed the two then entered an elevator where Alotaibi kissed him and offered him money in exchange for sex.
The teen said he resisted Alotaibi's advances but that the two went to an alley where they smoked marijuana. The two then went to Alotaibi's room where, according to the teen, he was fondled and raped.
Soon after, the teen exited the room and notified hotel security. The teen originally told police he had been taken to Alotaibi's room against his will.
However, Alotaibi's attorney, Don Chairez, pointed to holes in the victim's story.
"When he first told the story he talked about being kidnapped, he talked about being dragged forcibly down the hall ... but today he testified that 'I voluntarily went to the defendant's room,'" Chairez said.
The jury on Monday was shown security video said to show Alotaibi fondling the teen on an elevator.
Chairez argued the minor had plenty of opportunities to escape but never did so.
Alotaibi is being held on $1.7-million bail. If convicted, he could face life in state prison.
The age of consent in Nevada is 16.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Monday, July 28 2014 1:54 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:54:28 GMT
Authorities now say 14 people - including a 15-year-old - have been struck by lightning during rare summer thunderstorms that have swept through Southern California, injuring two critically.More >
A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck or rattled 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.More >