Members of the Nevada National Guard march in formation during a ceremony in this undated image. (File/FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
After being furloughed for nearly a week, about 500 members of the Nevada National Guard are returning to work Tuesday.
The soldiers and airmen who have been allowed to return to work, mostly in finance, administration, personnel and maintenance, were deemed critical in protecting national security.
Maj. Dennis Fournier, of the Nevada National Guard, said most of the work has been overseen by other service members during the shutdown.
"We have had to transfer that work to our active numbers, who have maintained the caretaker status for the Nevada National Guard," Fournier said.
Fournier said the 500 people returning to work Tuesday constitutes a bulk of the state's National Guard. He said there are still two employees who have not been cleared to return to work.
"We still have two folks that are outstanding that are affected furlough employees, and they work in our property and fiscal office as auditors," Fournier said.
The shutdown postponed a drill that was scheduled for last week, according to Fournier. He said the exercise included about 4,400 Nevada National Guard members training for their wartime and domestic support missions.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Monday, July 28 2014 1:54 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:54:28 GMT
Authorities now say 14 people - including a 15-year-old - have been struck by lightning during rare summer thunderstorms that have swept through Southern California, injuring two critically.More >
A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck or rattled 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.More >