Children hospitalized after playing with fire - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Children hospitalized after playing with fire

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters said two children were hospitalized after starting a garage fire on Saturday. (FOX5) Firefighters said two children were hospitalized after starting a garage fire on Saturday. (FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Las Vegas fire investigators ruled a fire in a garage behind a vacant house on Providence Lane near Meadows and Decatur as accidental, the result of children playing with fire.

One of the children called 911 dispatchers and told them of the fire at 2:22 p.m. When firefighters arrived a few minutes later, they found the fire in a large concrete block garage that had four old cars parked inside with minor fire inside a side door. Firefighters had the fire out in less than a minute.

Two of three children who were playing with fire were taken to the hospital with a small burn to one leg on each child. They are expected to be released later today after treatment.

The three children told fire investigators they had a highway flare and started it. It started some other items on fire, and they tried to stomp the fire out.

The children, along with the parents, will be referred to the Juvenile Fire Setter Intervention Program, which teaches children and parents about  the dangers of playing with fire. It is intended to prevent another occurrence of playing with fire in the future.

The fire was confined to the garage. Damage is estimated at $10,000. No one was displaced because of the incident.

Copyright2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..