Parents concerned after electrical shock at Metro school - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Parents concerned after electrical shock at Metro elementary school

Posted: Updated:
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Some parents are afraid to send their child to one Metro school because of the condition of the building.

A teacher recently suffered an electrical shock at Tusculum Elementary School.

"I shouldn't be afraid to send my baby to school, because that's supposed to be a safe place," said parent Alisha Irby.

The feeling of safety disappeared for Irby and other parents when a kindergarten teacher was shocked in her classroom last week.

"Seen her in the office, and she was kind of holding her hand and she is pregnant. We was all worried. She was in hysterics. It was pitiful. I felt so bad for her. All she did was plug in her light in her classroom and then it happened," Irby said.

Just a few days later, Irby said, fire trucks were called to the school for another electrical problem.

"It's a challenge to meet the needs of a modern elementary school in a 61-year-old building. Our electricians have been there. They have examined the system. They have determined the system is not faulty. It's just old," said Metro Nashville Public Schools spokesman Joe Bass.

Last year, the district asked for money from the city to replace the school, but the project was not funded.

So, in the meantime, Bass says leaders at Tusculum Elementary are taking what steps they can to keep students safe.

"Parents should know the electrical system is not faulty. It's an older electrical system. They're taking steps so we don't have overloaded circuits like what happened last week," he said.

But for parents like Irby, she is still uneasy about sending her daughter into the aging building.

"You have to worry about guns and stuff, and now you have to worry about the actual school. You shouldn't have to," she said.

There are plans in the works for a new building with a price tag at more than $16 million. The plans call for a new school to be built where there are currently baseball fields. The fields would then be moved to where the old building is located.

Again, that money would be required from the city.

A spokesperson for the school district said a licensed electrician is inspecting every outlet and cord at the school, and the two employees who were shocked are doing OK.

To see the list of projects approved in Metro Schools' capital budget this year, visit: http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wsmv/capital2013.pdf.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Parents concerned after electrical shock at Metro elementary schoolMore>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:35 PM EDT2017-05-24 23:35:11 GMT
    Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >
  • Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 10:20 AM EDT2017-05-24 14:20:22 GMT
    Source: FacebookSource: Facebook

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >
  • Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:48 AM EDT2017-05-24 12:48:04 GMT
    Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.