Casino opponents still fighting against Springfield casino - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Casino opponents still fighting against Springfield casino

Posted: Updated:
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

Casino opponents met in Springfield on Wednesday night, still hoping to fight against the possibility of a casino coming to the city.

"Here in Springfield I guess people think it's kind of over with," said Minister Glenn Turpin, of Just Us for Justice. 

Since MGM's casino plans were approved by 58 percent of Springfield voters back in July, anti-casino advocates have wondered where to go next.

"This is still a topic that everyone in the community needs to be informed about," Turpin said. 

Just Us for Social Justice hosted a casino forum on Wednesday, inviting Massachusetts Gaming Commissioner Bruce Stebbins.

"We should keep fighting until the final step from the Mass Gaming Commission," said Rhonda Latney of Springfield. 

"I'm here to hear their questions and hopefully bring them up to speed on the process in the state," said Stebbins. 

Everyone at the meeting has their questions from traffic worries to concerns about money.

"What happens when MGM does not reach their described amount of money they're supposed to. Will they still be obligated to pay the city the money that's outlined in the host-community agreement," Latney said. 

MGM has already signed an agreement with Springfield promising $25 million a year in payments to the city. That's money they'll have to pay if they're awarded the license.

So far, MGM's plans are the only ones that are slated to be sent to the state gaming commission.

Hard Rock's West Springfield plans were shot down by voters. Meantime, Palmer voters won't head to the polls to vote on Mohegan Sun until November.

But Stebbins assured people Wednesday that they'll investigate finances, jobs, site design, community mitigation and the wow factor before awarding any licenses.

"We're going to evaluate all five of those criteria when we ultimately award a license, if we do," Stebbins said. 

Just Us for Social Justice has also sent a letter to the state ethics commission in regards to advertising that was circulating before the vote. They're awaiting a reply. 

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

 

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Fish chews on 11-year-old girl's foot, causes bone-deep cuts

    Fish chews on 11-year-old girl's foot, causes bone-deep cuts

    Sunday, July 23 2017 8:38 AM EDT2017-07-23 12:38:08 GMT
    Maren Kesselhon suffered nine deep cuts and tendon damage Wednesday when she jumped off a paddleboard on Island Lake in Minnesota. (Source: CNN)Maren Kesselhon suffered nine deep cuts and tendon damage Wednesday when she jumped off a paddleboard on Island Lake in Minnesota. (Source: CNN)

    An 11-year-old girl suffered bone-deep lacerations when what was probably a fish chewed on her foot and ankle as she cooled off in a northeastern Minnesota lake. 

    More >

    An 11-year-old girl suffered bone-deep lacerations when what was probably a fish chewed on her foot and ankle as she cooled off in a northeastern Minnesota lake. 

    More >
  • Our Apologies

    The page you requested is currently unavailable. Pages on this site are constantly being revised, updated, and occasionally removed. You may have followed an outdated link or have outdated pages in your
    You have reached a page which is currently unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please use your browser's BACK button to return to the previous pageMore >
  • Ohio cheerleader accused of burying baby alive in backyard

    Ohio prosecutor: Infant whose remains found was born alive

    Sunday, July 23 2017 12:49 PM EDT2017-07-23 16:49:59 GMT
    (FOX19 NOW/Michael Buckingham via AP). Brooke Skylar Richardson makes her first court appearance in Franklin Municipal Court in Franklin, Ohio on Friday, July 21, 2017. Richardson is charged with reckless homicide in a baby's death.(FOX19 NOW/Michael Buckingham via AP). Brooke Skylar Richardson makes her first court appearance in Franklin Municipal Court in Franklin, Ohio on Friday, July 21, 2017. Richardson is charged with reckless homicide in a baby's death.

    An 18-year-old Ohio woman is accused of burying an infant alive outside her family's home.

    More >

    An 18-year-old Ohio woman is accused of burying an infant alive outside her family's home.

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.