Nevada unemployment checks cut by 59 percent - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Nevada unemployment checks cut by 59 percent

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

The average weekly check for Nevadans on long-term unemployment is about $309, but after a massive 59 percent cut in September due to federal sequestration, that check fell to about $127.

"Sequestration required that all states cut the unemployment insurance benefits of claimants by a certain percentage," said Mae Worthey of Nevada's Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation.

In March, Nevada had the option of making a 10 percent cut to long-term unemployment checks immediately, but instead decided to hold off to coincide with the installation of a brand new computer system.

"It's a massive undertaking, so rather than program that old system we waited to put the programming into the new system that we just implemented here last week," said Worthey.

Those without work for over 26 weeks are considered long-term unemployed. 

The 59 percent cut will only last the month of September, the end of the federal fiscal calendar.

"I hope so, I hope it's not permanent," said Mechelle Williams, who's been unemployed for about a year. "I'm not trying to be on this forever. I'm trying to look for work just as well."

Williams said she has yet to receive a check in September because of delays with the new computer system. When she does, her checks will be about $100 less - income she has no way of making up.

"It's not enough to even pay something for your roommate," Williams said.

Legal file clerk Guy Ellington, who hasn't had a job interview since January, is also losing $100 a check.

"It's become even more frustrating because I'm coming to the end of my unemployment, so then what do you do?" asked Ellington.

In October, checks will be only 8 to 9 percent lower, with emergency jobless payments set to expire at the end of 2013.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcast Corporation). All rights reserved. 

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:35 PM EDT2017-05-24 23:35:11 GMT
    Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >
  • Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 10:20 AM EDT2017-05-24 14:20:22 GMT
    Source: FacebookSource: Facebook

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >
  • Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:48 AM EDT2017-05-24 12:48:04 GMT
    Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.