Northwest Valley residents worried about future flooding
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
As crews continue to repair storm-damaged Grand Teton Drive in the northwest Valley, neighbors are wondering what's being done to keep it from happening again.
Grand Teton is still being pieced together at the Tee Pee Lane intersection. A week ago, the road was covered in water, mud and debris. A large section of the road remains closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
According to the city of Las Vegas, there are neither plans nor money for a permanent fix to the flooding problem.
"When it rains in Vegas, it's like the apocalypse," said resident Jacob Boyd.
"It was like an end-of-the-world-type situation because we didn't have any power. We could not get out of our neighborhood because it was blocked off," said neighbor Mirela Moriec.
Last week's storm dropped about four inches of rain, filling the Kyle Canyon Detention Basin to the 30-foot marker, 20 feet shy of capacity.
The water took three days to drain from Grand Teton Drive, because there is no control system in the area, according to the Regional Flood Control District.
Gale Fraser with the Regional Flood Control District said a $15 million taxpayer-funded project slated to begin next year will fix part of the problem. When complete, water will be pushed underneath streets from Durango Road to Rainbow Boulevard. That won't help streets west of U.S. 95, however.
"We would hope everything could be done, but it's a matter of resources. We have done $1.7 billion worth of flood control infrastructure over the last 20 years," Fraser said.
"We are away from everything, so they probably think it doesn't bother us as much because it's only desert. Maybe that's why they think they don't have to fix it right away," Moriec said.
All roads in the northwest part of the Valley are now open with the exception of Grand Teton between Oso Blanca Road and Tee Pee.
On Wednesday, Las Vegas Councilman Steven Ross will address the issue, having promised to discuss details about cost and a repair timeline.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, July 25 2014 6:46 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:46:04 GMT
Police planned Friday to present their case to prosecutors on whether charges should be filed against an 80-year-old man who fatally shot of one of two burglars who attacked him when he found them ransacking his home.More >
Prosecutors deciding whether to charge a California man who says he fatally shot a violent burglar in the back in an alley as she fled his home face a difficult decision because the case falls in a gray area involving...More >