2 killed, 2 injured in fire at Las Vegas home - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

2 killed, 2 injured in fire at Las Vegas home

Posted: Updated:
Fire officials said two people were able to escape a fire that ripped through a home in northwest Las Vegas. (FOX5 Viewer) Fire officials said two people were able to escape a fire that ripped through a home in northwest Las Vegas. (FOX5 Viewer)
A fire destroyed a home in northwest Las Vegas, resulting in the deaths of two.  (Peter Dawson/FOX5) A fire destroyed a home in northwest Las Vegas, resulting in the deaths of two. (Peter Dawson/FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Two people were killed while two others were rushed to the hospital after a fire ripped through a home in northwest Las Vegas.

According to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, initial calls of the blaze in the 9200 block of Empire Rock Street, just off Iron Mountain Road, were made just before midnight Thursday.

Citing neighbors, fire officials said two people made it out of the burning home, but the couple indicated two others were still inside.

LVFR said a second alarm had to be called as flames broke through the roof of the 3,700-square-foot home. Crews were able to control the fire about 90 minutes after the first call went out.

Firefighters said the home was already caving in when they arrived, and the visitors were trapped under debris.

"To have it cave in when we arrived on the scene, that tells us that fire had been burning 20 to 30 minutes before the occupants knew about it, and they only had a few seconds to escape," said Tim Szymanski with Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters were able to locate two bodies inside the home after getting control of the blaze.

Neighbors identified the first names of the couple that lives at the house as Peggy and Warren.

Firefighters said Warren is in critical condition, receiving treatment at a burn unit.

According to neighbors, Peggy's physical injuries are minor, but her emotional pain is indescribable because the friends who had been staying at her home since Monday lost their lives.

Neighbors said that Warren is about 6'8", and Peggy managed to pull him out of the house.

"Gigantic flames massively coming out of the entrance of that house, it was a horrendous experience," said neighbor Donald Toto.

Fire investigators said the home is a total loss. Neighbors told FOX5 that the homeowners barbecue regularly, and Thursday was no different. However, Peggy told friends she is positive she didn't leave the grill on.

The fire remains under investigation.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..