ASU professor among skeptics of NASA asteroid initiative - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

ASU professor among skeptics of NASA asteroid initiative

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

NASA is considering an ambitious new proposal, that would include capturing a near Earth asteroid, and moving it to a suitable orbit for further study.

President Obama announced the initiative in April, but scientific skeptics are making their voices heard.

Arizona State University planetary scientist Jim Bell, PhD, was among a group of scientists invited to Washington, in July, to participate in a panel of the National Academy of Sciences, to discuss the feasibility of the project with NASA leadership.

The mission cost, the development of the technology necessary to capture the asteroid, and actually locating a suitable asteroid for retrieval, are all elements that make this proposal difficult, but not impossible, according to Bell.

"It's a mix of skepticism and excitement," says Bell. "The costs are not well defined, there are technologies that have to be developed to make this happen."

The proposal calls for a robotic capsule powered by solar panels to deploy, what is essentially a large bag that would collect an asteroid roughly twenty feet in diameter.

The small spacecraft would then tow the asteroid into a different orbit around the moon, for future astronauts to travel to and study.

Scientists have identified and charted around 10,000 asteroids. Of those, only 370 are small enough to fit within the parameters of this project. However, only 14 of those travel in an orbit suitable to work with.

"It's very challenging. There are several survey programs going on with telescopes, including telescopes here in Arizona looking for these objects in the sky and starting to find more and more of them over time but finding the exact right one is going to be a challenge," said Bell.

The estimated cost for the project ranges between $1 and $2.5 billion dollars.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:35 PM EDT2017-05-24 23:35:11 GMT
    Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >
  • Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 10:20 AM EDT2017-05-24 14:20:22 GMT
    Source: FacebookSource: Facebook

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >
  • Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:48 AM EDT2017-05-24 12:48:04 GMT
    Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.