Metro: Officers attempted non-lethal force on home intruder - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Metro: Officers attempted non-lethal force on home intruder

Posted: Updated:
Metro Undersheriff Jim Dixon speaks to the media about a deadly shooting on July 23. (FOX5) Metro Undersheriff Jim Dixon speaks to the media about a deadly shooting on July 23. (FOX5)

Metro police spoke out on Friday afternoon about an officer-involved shooting that claimed a man's life.

On July 23, two SWAT officers shot a home invasion suspect, who was wielding a hammer and a knife, clothed only in underwear.

The department said it is beginning an investigation into the shooting, in order to determine what went wrong, and if lethal force was necessary.

The suspect and shooting victim has since been identified as Southaly Ketmany. His ex-wife, Kim Reroma, told FOX5 that the cell phone store employee was in town from Sacramento, on vacation.

She said that while he was at a nightclub, located inside the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, he began hallucinating and acting strangely.

Ketmany became separated from his friends, turning up inside a home near Las Vegas Boulevard and Pebble Road, a few days later.

Metro police said they attempted non-lethal tactics to subdue Ketmany, but that they didn't work.

"None of these tools were effective. They included a 40mm rubber round, a K-9 dog, and an ECD, which is commonly known as a Taser. The suspect then charged officers with a knife and a hammer, closing the distance several feet, at which time two SWAT officers fired their weapons, striking the suspect," said Metro Undersheriff Jim Dixon.

Ketmany was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Investigators are still awaiting the results of a toxicology report.

Reroma said she believes Ketmany's drink may have been laced. She was at the scene of the shooting, and believes police did not attempt enough non-lethal tactics to bring him safely into custody.

Metro police said it is possible the case could go before the department's Use of Force Board. However, that likely wouldn't happen before the district attorney investigates, because the shooting resulted in a death.

Metro police said they expect to have a final report on the shooting within the next 90 days.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..