Use of Force Board member Roger Buehrer, says he didn't sit on the board for the case surrounding officer Jacquar Roston, but he heard what happened.
"The recommendation was to terminate the officer. Sheriff went against that and that just didn't sit well with some of the members," Buehrer told FOX5.
In fact, to date, Buehrer hasn't been part of the investigation for any officer-involved shootings, a reason he gives for why he's staying on the board.
"For me to make that decision without ever having experienced that, I want to experience that for myself," Buehrer said.
The shake up on the Use of Force Board all started on Nov. 11, 2012.
That's when officer Roston responded to Hollywood Park, on a domestic call.
He found 22-year-old Lawrence Gordon in a car with his ex-girlfriend.
Investigators said Roston removed the woman from the car, and eventually shot Gordon in the leg, when he reached for his hat.
Roston said a sticker on the ball cap reflected light, making him think it was a gun.
The Use of Force Board recommended Roston be fired, but on July 22, Sheriff Doug Gillespie announced Roston would be suspended instead.
Since then, 5 civilians and Assistant Sheriff Ted Moody resigned over the case, an action Buehrer said he understood.
Buehrer admitted it wouldn't sit well, if the sheriff went against his decision on a different case.
"Then I'm going to have to evaluate myself too," Buehrer told FOX5.
Byron Brooks is another member, who's staying on the board, because he still hasn't heard a case.
"I have only been called out to a scene one time," Brooks told FOX5.
But Brooks said it is concerning two of the men, who picked him to serve on the board, Moody and the board's co-chair Robert Martinez, have left the board in protest.
"It would be unrealistic for me to think that there isn't a concern there. However... if I'm not a part of the board, or if I resign my position, then I can't help make what we do relevant," Brooks told FOX5.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.