FOX5 viewers sent in these pictures of spectacular lightning and heavy rain during the storms that moved through the Las Vegas Valley on Friday. More >
FOX5 viewers sent in these pictures of spectacular lightning and heavy rain during the storms that moved through the Las Vegas Valley on Friday.More >
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
Crews are waiting for the go-ahead from city inspectors before restoring power to a storm-ravaged Las Vegas neighborhood, according to officials.
Residents of Atrium Gardens were forced from their home when severe storms on July 19, pushed trees onto their condos. Since then, evacuees have been living at Desert Pines High School.
During a meeting with evacuees on Monday, officials said some trees fell 3 feet into homes and destroyed cars. They said tree roots got tangled with power and gas lines, leaving at least 60 units in the dark and unsafe to inhabit.
On Wednesday, a spokesperson for NV Energy said they were allowed to restore power to some of the homes, but they are still awaiting the approval of city inspectors before all 60 homes can be reenergized.
A Southwest Gas spokesman said gas is being served to the neighborhood, but pilot lights are being lit where there is now cleanup underway. He said all service will be restored once cleanup has been completed.
Jace Radke, public information officer for the city of Las Vegas, said 35 buildings were damaged in the story, and 25 of those will be habitable by the end of Wednesday.
"The remaining 10 are the ones that suffered the most structure damages and we are having trouble getting power and gas back on in them" Radke said in a statement. "Many of these are going to need contractor work."
Radke said safety inspectors will continue working with power, gas and property management crews Thursday.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
City's approval needed before restoring power to Atrium GardensMore>>
Thursday, August 21 2014 7:40 PM EDT2014-08-21 23:40:00 GMT
The Henderson Police Department on Thursday announced two men already in custody in the Henderson Detention Center have been charged in connection with six additional burglaries, spanning two weeks.More >
The Henderson Police Department on Thursday announced two men already in custody in the Henderson Detention Center have been charged in connection with six additional burglaries, spanning two weeks. More >