Man charged with murder, abuse in toddler's death - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Man charged with murder, abuse in toddler's death

Posted: Updated:
Bransen Locks was arrested on May 19 after he called 911 of an unresponsive child in his care. (LVMPD) Bransen Locks was arrested on May 19 after he called 911 of an unresponsive child in his care. (LVMPD)

A Las Vegas man arrested during a child abuse investigation was officially charged with murder in connection to a 1-year-old boy's death.

According to a warrant declaration released Wednesday, Bransen Locks, 36, was charged with first-degree murder and two counts of child abuse/neglect.

Locks was originally arrested on May 19 just hours after he accompanied Bently Olsen in an ambulance to the hospital after the boy was found unresponsive, the declaration showed. Police said, in the declaration, Locks, whom officers found hiding in a crawlspace at his home in the 2600 block of Tenaya Way, was arrested on outstanding warrants unrelated to the abuse investigation.

Bently later died at University Medical Center on May 26.

Locks, in the declaration, refused to answer questions with detectives regarding the child.

Throughout the declaration, police interviewed medical personnel at University Medical Center and first responding ambulance workers regarding injuries the boy received and how Locks appeared with the child after calling 911.

In the declaration, several doctors at UMC as well as the first responders noted a red mark on the top of the child's head upon examining him. The emergency responders, in interviews described in the declaration, also noted the child "posturing" in the ambulance that was consistent with head trauma.

The boy was under the care of Locks, who was dating the child's mother at the time, the declaration showed.

The boy's mother told police, in the declaration, the child and his 5-year-old sister were put in Locks' care after they were picked up from daycare. The mother was supposed to meet with Locks after dropping off a friend that night, the declaration showed.

It wasn't until nearly an hour later after the pickup, the mother told police in the declaration, that she received a frantic call from Locks from the ambulance regarding the child.

First responders recalled, in the declaration, Locks telling them he set the child down to sleep and later found him unresponsive shortly after. The first responders also said, in the declaration, the child was wet, with Locks explaining he put him under a shower to revive him.

Locks, as the EMTs stated him saying in the declaration, said the boy was behaving normally when he was picked up from daycare. A daycare worker, in the declaration, denied any major injury or incidents while the boy was in her care that day.

Police eventually interviewed the boy's sister, who described, in the declaration, an incident involving the toddler and Locks inside a backyard tree house. The girl, showing a detective through a drawing in the declaration, stated Locks had hurt her brother on the wall of the tree house.

The declaration described the girl drawing blood in her interview and explaining it was her brother bleeding.

Locks remains at Clark County Detention Center.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.