Las Vegas Metro Police ready for Electric Daisy Carnival
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
More than 345,000 people are expected to descend on the Las Vegas Motor Speedway for the Electric Daisy Carnival.
It's an event that's had problems in the past.
In 2011, the first year the event was in Las Vegas, police arrested two men for trying to sell counterfeit wristbands.
Pathomrat Kunawongse and Aaron Hernandez faced several charges, including burglary and conspiracy after their arrest.
In 2012, high winds shut down the event Saturday night.
The festival resumed on Sunday night.
Then early Monday morning, the Nevada Highway Patrol said a 31-year-old Florida man was struck by a pickup as he crossed Las Vegas Boulevard leaving EDC.
"Last year there was an accident. This year we have done everything we can to minimize the possibility of that, but still we work hard every day to prevent accidents throughout the Valley and unfortunately they occur," said Bill Cassell, spokesperson for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
Cassell said around 400 officers will be working the event each night.
But that won't cost taxpayers.
"The overtime wages of those officers is paid by Insomniac," Cassell said.
Last year's problems from the event went beyond the speedway.
After attending EDC in 2012, a 22-year-old girl fell from the 27th floor at the Circus Circus Hotel and Casino to her death.
A toxicology report showed Emily McCaughan had ecstasy, traces of meth and the synthetic drug GHB in her system.
Family and friends said the University of Arizona student was suffering from paranoid delusions.
Cassell said officers will be looking for drugs and weapons outside and inside the event.
The department also plans to have large disposal bins at the front gates where people can dispose of illegal narcotics with no questions asked.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, July 25 2014 9:23 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:23:15 GMT
Police planned Friday to present their case to prosecutors on whether charges should be filed against an 80-year-old man who fatally shot of one of two burglars who attacked him when he found them ransacking his home.More >
Prosecutors Friday were waiting for the results of a police investigation into the killing of a burglar by an 80-year-old California homeowner who says he shot the woman in the back as she fled his home and ran down an...More >