Suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro back in court - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro back in court

Posted: Updated:
Ariel Castro in court on Wednesday Ariel Castro in court on Wednesday
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight
Ariel Castro's Seymour Ave. home, Cleveland's west side Ariel Castro's Seymour Ave. home, Cleveland's west side
Ariel Castro's backyard Ariel Castro's backyard
Investigators at Ariel Castro's Seymour Avenue home Investigators at Ariel Castro's Seymour Avenue home

With his head hanging down, suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro went before a judge on Wednesday morning.

Castro refused to make eye contact with anyone, but did answer the judge when questioned. He provided a simple answer of 'yes' when asked normal questions about the proceedings. Castro also said he has no questions for the court.

Defense attorneys entered a plea of not guilty for Castro earlier this month on nearly 330 charges, including murder. They said in court on Wednesday that they hope to visit Castro's Seymour Avenue home in the near future.

Castro is accused of holding Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus captive in his Cleveland house for more than a decade before they were rescued on May 6.

Berry gave birth to his daughter while in captivity.

Castro's defense attorneys said they are willing to plead guilty to all the charges, but murder. They are hoping the prosecutors will drop the murder charges so they can avoid a lengthy trial and spare the women from testifying.

The judge made sure to tell the prosecutors and Castro's defense team that any potential plea deals must be written out in full first.

Castro remains jailed on $8M.

His next court date is slated for June 26 at 8:45 a.m.

Right now, his trial date is set for August 4, but that should change after Castro waives his right to a speedy trial.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Las Vegas man shot and killed after jumping off balcony

    Las Vegas man shot and killed after jumping off balcony

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 7:48 PM EST2017-12-13 00:48:21 GMT
    LVMPD officers investigate the scene of a deadly shooting Dec. 11, 2017 (FOX5).LVMPD officers investigate the scene of a deadly shooting Dec. 11, 2017 (FOX5).

    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said one person is dead after a shooting near Vegas Valley Drive and Nellis Boulevard Monday evening.  

    More >

    Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said one person is dead after a shooting near Vegas Valley Drive and Nellis Boulevard Monday evening.  

    More >
  • Death of 2-hour-old baby ruled murder, no charges filed

    Death of 2-hour-old baby ruled murder, no charges filed

    Tuesday, December 12 2017 2:56 AM EST2017-12-12 07:56:32 GMT
    This generic image shows the silhouette of a pregnant woman. (Meredith Image)This generic image shows the silhouette of a pregnant woman. (Meredith Image)

    The death of a baby boy earlier this year who lived for less than two hours has been classified as a murder, according to Metro Police.

    More >

    The death of a baby boy earlier this year who lived for less than two hours has been classified as a murder, according to Metro Police.

    More >
  • Our Apologies

    The page you requested is currently unavailable. Pages on this site are constantly being revised, updated, and occasionally removed. You may have followed an outdated link or have outdated pages in your

    You have reached a page which is currently unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please use your browser's BACK button to return to the previous page

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.