Discarded cigarette sparks house fire - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Discarded cigarette sparks house fire

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Fire investigators said a carelessly discarded cigarette was to blame for a Las Vegas house fire on Tuesday afternoon that displaced a family of eight and caused $85,000 in damage.

Firefighters received a call about a grass fire in front of a house located on Escondido Street, near Maryland Parkway and Russell Road, just before 4:30 p.m.

Within minutes, multiple calls came in reporting that the grass fire had spread to the house. Firefighters arrived to find the side of the house and attic in flames. Winds continued to fan the fire and crews were forced to cut holes in the roof to let the fire vent out of the attic like a chimney.

A total of 42 firefighters from Clark County Fire and Las Vegas Fire and Rescue battled the blaze. The family made it out of the house in time and no injuries were reported.

The displaced family is being aided by the American Red Cross.

Firefighters say smokers need to safely dispose of cigarette butts by soaking them in water and placing them in a non-flammable container away from combustible materials.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..