The lights of the Las Vegas Strip are seen from a helicopter. (File/FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (AP) -
Federal funds aimed at helping terrorist targets beef up security were pulled from Las Vegas this year, according to Mayor Carolyn Goodman.
Goodman said Thursday that Las Vegas has received $69 million in federal cash from the Urban Areas Security Initiative since 2004, but the money has been decreasing during the past six years.
The money was used to enhance communications between first responders in the Valley, according to Goodman. She said the money has also been used to create a regional public safety complex and a citizen preparedness program.
Last month, Clark County Commissioner Larry Brown said he was disappointed and concerned after Las Vegas was dropped from 30 to 33 in the 2013 draft
of the Relative Risk Profile - an annual report issued by the Department of Homeland Security.
The UASI was created after the Sept. 11, 2011, terrorist attacks. The goal of the funding program is to help cities deemed at risk for terrorism to increase and maintain safety and security.
According to the Homeland Security Department's website, $558,745,566 has been budgeted for the UASI for the 2013 fiscal year.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Thursday, August 21 2014 7:40 PM EDT2014-08-21 23:40:00 GMT
The Henderson Police Department on Thursday announced two men already in custody in the Henderson Detention Center have been charged in connection with six additional burglaries, spanning two weeks.More >
The Henderson Police Department on Thursday announced two men already in custody in the Henderson Detention Center have been charged in connection with six additional burglaries, spanning two weeks. More >