Unemployment up slightly in Nevada - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Unemployment up slightly in Nevada

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

It's a small change, but it's in the wrong direction.

Nevada's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for the month of March was 9.7 percent, up from 9.6 percent in February. The increase is the first in 20 months. Prior to March's numbers, unemployment either dropped or held steady.

Las Vegas saw 9.8 percent unemployment for the month, down from 11.7 percent a year ago. The Reno/Sparks area saw 10 percent unemployment for the month, down from 10.1 percent in February.

"Nevada's economy has been improving, and overall, I'm pleased with the general direction of the state's labor market," said Gov. Brian Sandoval.

"So far this year unemployment is down roughly 2 percent, and preliminary estimates show that we have created 25,000 more jobs to date than we had at this point last year," Sandoval continued. "However, the slight uptick in the jobless rate in March underscores that our recovery remains fragile and we must continue our efforts to strengthen and diversify our state's economy."

Nevada Sen. Dean Heller largely echoed Sandoval's sentiments.

"Nevadans have been forced to weather the storm for far too long, which is why I am disappointed our unemployment numbers rose this month. Just last week, Nevada's foreclosure rate returned to the No. 1 spot in the county. It's clear that Congress must do everything within its powers to get the Silver State back to work," Heller said.

"Nevadans are resilient and willing to take advantage of every opportunity to create a better future for their children and grandchildren," Heller continued. "Washington must take a critical look at policies currently in place and take steps that will help create these opportunities. I am optimistic that, with the right policies in place, Nevada will once again return to a period of prosperity."

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Pregnant high school student not allowed to walk at graduation

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 7:35 PM EDT2017-05-24 23:35:11 GMT
    Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)Maddi Runkles, 18, was barred from walking in her June 2 graduation ceremony because she is pregnant. (Source: WJLA via CNN)

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >

    A pregnant high school senior in Maryland, who attends a private Christian school, was barred from walking in her graduation ceremony because she had premarital sex.

    More >
  • Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Man verbally assaulted for speaking in Spanish to his mother

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 10:20 AM EDT2017-05-24 14:20:22 GMT
    Source: FacebookSource: Facebook

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >

    A video posted to Facebook showing a man in a wheelchair on a verbal tirade against another man who was speaking Spanish to his mother is making the rounds on social media.

    More >
  • Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Mom confirms death of 15-year-old killed in Manchester bombing

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:48 AM EDT2017-05-24 12:48:04 GMT
    Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)Parents of 15-year-old Olivia Campbell confirmed their daughter's death Wednesday, May 24, 2017. (Source: CNN/ Charlotte Campbell)

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >

    Charlotte Campbell had been waiting by the phone for a day when she finally got the news she had been dreading -- her teenage daughter Olivia was among the 22 people killed in the bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Britain

    More >
Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.