A child was pulled under a vehicle near Durango and Blue Diamond on Tuesday afternoon. (Joe Lybarger/FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
The Clark County Coroner's office has released the name of a 6-year-old girl who died after being pulled under a family member's vehicle.
Censere Mosly-Wedermyer was identified as the victim in Tuesday's incident, the coroner's office reported.
Las Vegas Metro police reported the incident about 3 p.m. in the 8800 block of West Torino Avenue, just off South Durango Drive and Blue Diamond Road.
Police said it appears a grandfather, identified as Michael Gant, 52, was leaving his house when his 6-year-old granddaughter went outside to get his attention. Gant didn't notice her and she grabbed onto his 2006 Dodge Magnum.
As the man was leaving, the little girl was apparently pulled under the car and dragged approximately 40 feet. Gant stopped when he realized what had happened.
"The 6-year-old ran out and tried to get the grandfather's attention. [She] grabbed onto the side of the car, and as he pulled away, the child held on and then tripped," explained Metro's Sgt. Richard Strader.
"They tried to revive her the best they could, and they just hauled her off," said neighbor Sean Roberts. "I just came out and I saw she was kind of laying out and she seemed like she didn't have too much life in her."
The girl was rushed to University Medical Center, where she later died.
Metro police are calling the incident an accident at this point. This marks the 35th traffic-related fatality in Metro's jurisdiction so far in 2013.
"Any time we lose a child on our roadways, it's tragic, and now we have the family who is grieving," Strader said.
Because the girl's family does not have life insurance, an account has been set up for those wishing to donate to help cover her funeral expenses. The account is listed under the child's mother's name. Donations can be made at any Wells Fargo bank. The account info is:
Celest Wedermyer Memorial Fund
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Monday, July 28 2014 1:54 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:54:28 GMT
Authorities now say 14 people - including a 15-year-old - have been struck by lightning during rare summer thunderstorms that have swept through Southern California, injuring two critically.More >
A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck or rattled 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.More >