Officers responded to a person throwing things out of a window at the Siegel Suites on Paradise Road.
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
Authorities said a fire that forced residents at a Las Vegas apartment complex to evacuate was purposely set.
According to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, Metro police officer received calls about 5 a.m. Friday of someone breaking windows and throwing things from a third floor unit at the Siegel Suites in the 2000 block of Paradise Road.
About 20 minutes later, officers observed smoke coming from one of the apartments, prompting them to call firefighters.
LVFR said a fire, which was extinguished by an automatic sprinkler, sparked from clothes set ablaze on a stove top.
Apartment residents were evacuated during the fire investigation as a precaution, officials said.
LVFR said a man who lives in the apartment where the fire started was taken to the hospital and was expected to be charged with first degree arson.
There were no other injuries reported. Total damage was estimated at $500.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
You can download the new FOX5 Vegas mobile app, which now features an Interactive Radar and the MyReport photo submission tool. iPhone DownloadiPad DownloadAndroid DownloadAmazon Fire DownloadFor the bestMore>>
Search and rescue crews across Southeast Asia scrambled on Saturday to find a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 that disappeared from air traffic control screens over waters between Malaysia and Vietnam early that...More >
Malaysia intelligence agencies are investigating how up to four passengers with suspect identities were able to board the missing Boeing 777 jet, the government said, as planes and ships from across Asia resumed the hunt...More >