Tuesday, March 5 2013 8:29 PM EST2013-03-06 01:29:52 GMT
A JJs restaurant hostess said she thought she was going to die when an explosion rocked her restaurant Tuesday night, and she is frantic with fear for a missing friend."I thought I was going to die. Honestly,More >
A JJ's restaurant hostess said she thought she was going to die when an explosion rocked her restaurant Tuesday night, and she is frantic with fear for a missing friend and co-worker. More >
KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -
A Kansas City doctor says a Time Warner Cable subcontractor was notified about a gas leak hours before an explosion rocked a popular restaurant on the Country Club Plaza.
The doctor says crews had a lackadaisical attitude about concerns, and that one person was allowed to smoke in the area after receiving complaints about the strong odor of gas.
The explosion tore through the area about 6 p.m. Tuesday. The first report had been made at 1 p.m. to the Heartland Midwest, when they smelled the strong odor, said Dr. John Verstraete.
"We were really upset. They seemed to laugh it off," he said in an interview with KCTV5's Sandra Olivas. "The construction crews working outside. We were like, 'Hey, we smell gas.' . . . They were just, 'Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.'"
He said his employees assumed that subcontractor would have it investigated and notify Missouri Gas Energy.
He said one of the construction workers even was smoking outside, which upset some of the doctor's office employees because of how strong the smell of gas was.
Verstraete of Plaza Physicians Group said Missouri Gas Energy crews finally had come out and tested the air about 5 p.m. He said the crews determined that the natural gas was at a dangerous level and advised immediate evacuation.
"We locked up the doors and tried to get our personal items," he explained. "It was like two minutes and all of a sudden there was this big explosion. It went through you like a sonic wave. You felt it go through your body."
He said glass shattered, and an upper floor wall caved in.
"I know JJs took most of the explosion," he said. "I just hope everyone is OK that was in there."
Everyone made it out of the doctor's office and spa. Outside, they discovered a bystander who had been injured by debris.
The doctor provided aid to his cuts, bruises and scrapes.
"He was shell-shocked," Verstraete said.
His two dogs were inside the office at 906 W. 48th St. when the explosion occurred.
Verstraete's yellow lab Perseus panicked and bolted. The dog was last seen near the Nelson-Atkins Museum. If you see the dog, please call the doctor at 816-756-3526.
He said he is quite concerned about everyone inside JJ's at the time of the explosion. He said he cannot imagine the extent of injuries suffered by those closer to the blast than him and others in his office building.
"This is a terrible ordeal that happened," Verstraete said. "I hope they are OK."
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Thursday, May 23 2013 10:08 PM EDT2013-05-24 02:08:55 GMT
A military father came home to Las Vegas after spending a year overseas, and surprised his children with an early return. Major Scott Powell spent almost a year in Afghanistan flying planes in the UnitedMore >
A military father came home to Las Vegas after spending a year overseas, and surprised his children with an early return.More >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 6:04 PM EDT2013-05-22 22:04:40 GMT
MISSOURI CITY, TX (KPRC/CNN) - When a pregnant teacher in Texas collapsed, her coworkers rushed to help. The woman technically died, gave birth, and then was brought back to life. Erica Nigrelli, an EnglishMore >
A pregnant woman's heart stopped, and doctors performed an emergency c-section to rescue the baby and save the woman.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 11:54 AM EDT2013-05-24 15:54:55 GMT
Aldeane Ries Elementary School this week sent a letter home with students to parents warning about strangers in the area of the southwest Valley school. The letter doesn't cite any specific occurrencesMore >
Parents of Aldeane Ries Elementary School students received a letter given to their students, warning them about strangers in the area of the southwest Valley school.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 9:54 PM EDT2013-05-25 01:54:37 GMT
A 21-page complaint has been submitted to the Nevada Attorney General's office about the Clark County School District and how they decided to hire Pat Skorkowsky as their new superintendent. FOX5 obtainedMore >
A 21-page complaint has been submitted to the Nevada Attorney General's office about the Clark County School District and how they decided to hire Pat Skorkowsky as its new superintendent. More >
Friday, May 24 2013 4:49 PM EDT2013-05-24 20:49:38 GMT
A Las Vegas restaurant shut down due to a food-borne illness outbreak that sickened nearly 300 people is set to reopen at its new location on Friday. According to the eatery's Facebook page, Firefly isMore >
A Las Vegas restaurant shut down because of a food-borne illness outbreak that sickened nearly 300 people is set to reopen at its new location on Friday.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 10:10 AM EDT2013-05-24 14:10:36 GMT
Impaired drivers will be targeted in a Memorial Day sobriety checkpoint in east Las Vegas, according to police. Las Vegas Metro police said DUI saturation patrols on Friday will concentrate on an areaMore >
Impaired drivers will be targeted in a Memorial Day sobriety checkpoint in east Las Vegas, according to police.More >
Wednesday, May 22 2013 5:00 PM EDT2013-05-22 21:00:05 GMT
Las Vegas Metro police said former Major League slugger Jose Canseco is being investigated as a suspect in a sexual assault case. Metro made the announcement Wednesday following a series of tweets fromMore >
Las Vegas Metro police said former Major League slugger Jose Canseco is being investigated as a suspect in a sexual assault case.More >