Security will be the big topic discussion at the Newtown Board of Education meeting Wednesday after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School last month.
Many parents around the country have been calling for increased police presence in our schools, but in Newtown, some parents told Eyewitness News that they want it engrained in the schools permanently.
Adam Lanza had two pistols and an AR-15 when he entered Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14 and in just a matter of minutes, he fired multiple rounds, killing 20 children and six adults. Before the school shooting, he shot his mother four times.
In the immediate aftermath of the Sandy Hook tragedy, police officers have been stationed at each school in Newtown.
Superintendent of Schools Janet Robinson said that measure would extend "indefinitely." However, parents know the board of education needs to decide on something permanent.
"Obviously, with what transpired here, it would be a very good idea," said Dan Mahany of Newtown.
However, opinions on the topic vary.
"I don't think that would be a necessary requirement," said Ed Keough of Newtown. "In towns like this, this was a very unusual act and horrible thing to happen. But, I don't think you would be expected to prevent day in and day out.
Police officers at the school will be discussed at the meeting along with the issue of workmen's compensation for teachers, who lived through the tragedy.
"Those people should be covered," said Mike Dalbert of Newtown.
Donations that have flooded town hall will soon have a home. On Sunday, the victims' families will comb through the 125,000 cards and well-wishes sent from around the world.
They will choose which ones to take home. Next week, members of the Sandy Hook Elementary family have second pick, and the week after that, these cards will be opened up to all Newtown residents.
The meeting, which is the second since the school shooting, will be at 7:30 p.m. at the Newtown Municipal Center. The public is welcome to attend.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, July 25 2014 6:46 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:46:04 GMT
Police planned Friday to present their case to prosecutors on whether charges should be filed against an 80-year-old man who fatally shot of one of two burglars who attacked him when he found them ransacking his home.More >
Prosecutors deciding whether to charge a California man who says he fatally shot a violent burglar in the back in an alley as she fled his home face a difficult decision because the case falls in a gray area involving...More >