Woman, 75, to be evicted after burning her dinner - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Woman, 75, to be evicted after burning her dinner

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA (CBS ATLANTA) -

A 75-year-old woman is on the verge of eviction from her senior living apartment because she burned a meal.

The eviction notice from Hairston Lake management claims Retha Scott poses a threat to her neighbors.

Scott said she fell asleep while the food cooked, and it burned.

"Nothing was done to intentionally set this apartment on fire. They came at me like and I really was scared, but I said I was sorry and I'll use the microwave from now on," Scott said.

No one was hurt, and other units at the complex were not damaged.

But Scott is being kicked out anyway.

"I don't have anywhere to go. I don't have no people here," Scott said.

Attorney Joshua Davis has agreed to represent Scott after CBS Atlanta News alerted him to Scott's situation.

Davis believes evicting Scott because of the cooking is unjust.

"It's absurd. This women is elderly, she's 75, and the fact that she is of that age they should give some type of accommodation to the fact that these things happen," Davis said.

The complex's management refused to give an interview but released the following statement.

"At this time, we are not able to speak publicly about the details of Ms. Scott's case due to privacy and confidentiality laws. Please be assured that we are actively working with her on a quick resolution to her concerns." spokesperson Paul Grant wrote.

Copyright 2013 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..