Fire officials in Scottsdale say a cigarette caused a patio fire southeast of McDowell and Hayden.
The Scottsdale Fire Department said a woman living in the home fell asleep while smoking. When she woke up, her comforter was on fire, and she place it outside the door on her patio. When she woke up for a second time, her door and patio were on fire.
She was not hurt.
Officials said the home did not have a working smoke detector.
Scottsdale fire officials remind people to make sure you have a working smoke detector and recommend these tips if you smoke:
Wherever you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays.
Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out.
Check for cigarette butts.
Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
Use fire-safe cigarettes.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Monday, July 28 2014 1:54 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:54:28 GMT
Authorities now say 14 people - including a 15-year-old - have been struck by lightning during rare summer thunderstorms that have swept through Southern California, injuring two critically.More >
A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck or rattled 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.More >