Brenda Stokes, seen here in a previous court appearance, was charged in the death of 10-year-old Jade Morris.
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
A judge denied bail for a Las Vegas woman charged in the slaying of a 10-year-old girl.
Counsel for Brenda Stokes requested bail to be lowered during a preliminary hearing Wednesday.
An attorney argued prosecutors were quick to suspect Stokes in the death of Jade Morris and that there's a possibility of other suspects, including the girl's father. Counsel cited the father's criminal history, which included a domestic violence charge, as well as a lack of criminal history for the defendant, in the argument.
"I know her. She didn't do this," Stokes' attorney said in Las Vegas Justice Court. "The people pointing the finger at my client are suspects."
Stokes' attorney also said she intends to plead not guilty.
Wednesday's proceeding was attended by the girl's family, which included Jade's mother. Jade's father did not attend because, according to his family, it's too painful for him to look at Stokes.
Stokes reportedly showed no emotion during the hearing but did look back at the family once.
Judge Deborah J. Lippis said the case has moved quickly, so far. She said due to"likelihood of guilt," Stokes is a danger to the community and was ordered to remain detained at Clark County Detention Center without bail.
Lippis set the next preliminary hearing on March 28.
Stokes had been implicated in Jade's death after she was the last seen with her before the girl disappeared on Dec. 21.
According to police, Stokes was picking the girl up to go holiday shopping. Stokes was reportedly the girlfriend of Jade's father.
The girl's body was found six days later in a desert area in North Las Vegas. According to the Clark County Coroner's Office, Jade died of multiple stab wounds as a result of a homicide.
In addition, a police arrest report said blood found on clothes belonging to Stokes matched the girl's DNA.
Stokes had already been detained for an unrelated attack on a co-worker at the Bellagio casino when she was charged for the girl's slaying.
Stay tuned to FOX5 for the latest on this developing story.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Monday, July 28 2014 1:54 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:54:28 GMT
Authorities now say 14 people - including a 15-year-old - have been struck by lightning during rare summer thunderstorms that have swept through Southern California, injuring two critically.More >
A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck or rattled 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.More >